Potatoes, bacon, cheese, need I say more? Actually in this case, I think so. These aren’t your standard cheddar loaded potatoes you’d get at happy hour in some family restaurant, they’re a deliciously sophisticated and yes, slightly decadent dish that is now definitely on my go-to side dish list.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb hickory smoked, thick sliced bacon
3 1/2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup parmesan (preferably freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano)
coarse sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
fresh parsley, chopped
- Peel the potatoes and place in a large pot with water covering them. Bring water to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Cut bacon in small pieces (freeze the bacon slices for about 10 min, it will make easier to cut)
- Cook bacon in a skillet until golden, but still flexible. You don’t want it crunchy. Remove cooked bacon onto a plate lined with paper towels.
- While potatoes are cooling, preheat the oven to 425° and mince the garlic and parsley. Also, grate the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Place cut side down on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt,pepper and rosemary. Place in 425° oven for 35-40 minutes. Rotate potatoes halfway through the baking time to ensure an even color.
- Reduce temperature to 375°, turn potatoes over and sprinkle with the bacon, garlic, and parmesan and cook for additional 15 minutes or until browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley. And voila, enjoy!